Fill out an application form to join our wonderful line up of programs!
GET A TASTE OF OUR NEW FLAVA
The Family of Local Authors, Visionaries & Artists (FLAVA) is a program designed to promote new aspiring local talented authors, artists, spoken-word poets, musicians and other creative expressionists by initially featuring them and their works at the Library. The purpose is to bring public awareness to these up and coming artists by making their materials and works available to the public through programming, circulation, presentations and displays, starting at the Library.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN FLAVA: REGULATED PROCEDURE (NO PHONECALLS, DROP-INS or RANDOM EMAILS)
Due to the volume of FLAVA applicants and the amount of time dedicated to the selection process, we request that you respectfully follow the regulated procedures. Phone calls and drop-ins will NOT be honored. Only the FLAVA email and FLAVA phone message center will be answered. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
FLAVA IS NO COST & BENEFICIAL FOR ALL
There is no cost to be a part of FLAVA and FLAVA does not pay the artist. FLAVA is a mutually beneficial agreement between the library and the artist where the artist is able to get exposure and publicity, attend writing related workshops and events, and have the library as a professional reference for future engagements elsewhere, while the library is able to promote writing programs and the importance of the arts with local talent.
FLAVA APPLICATION PROCESS
All persons interested in having their book, works, book signing, speaking engagement, or related program featured at the library must follow the steps below:
1. Get a FLAVA Application
- Online: http://www.richtonparklibrary.org
- At the Richton Park Library, 22310 Latonia Lane, Richton Park, IL 60471
Hours of operation Monday-Friday 10am-8pm & Saturday 10am-2pm. (Check the website for library holiday closings).
2. Return Completed FLAVA Application
- Fax: 708-481-4343
- Mail or Deliver: FLAVA-Richton Park Library, 22310 Latonia Lane, Richton Park, IL 60471.
3. Receipt of your FLAVA Application
- Allow 2 weeks for the library to process your application.
- ONLY if 2 weeks have passed with no reply from the library, contact us to check the status of your application
4. Interview Process
- If your application is selected, you will be contacted to set up an interview with the library FLAVA programmers.
- Please bring the following to the interview:
ü Photo ID: State-issued and valid.
ü Examples of your work in tangible format (Hard copy):
Hard copies of a printed book, music or spoken-word CD, art portfolio on paper, etc. Although your works may be available in electronic format, the library requests a hard copy. Please note that this interview is not a talent show and you will not be asked or allowed to sing, free-style, or draw on site. Please bring hard copies of your works.
ü Promotional Materials: Business cards; Short BIO (preferably with a headshot); Postcards, etc.
5. FLAVA Selection
- As with all library programming, the Library reserves the right to choose FLAVA program participants.
- The library does not offer professional reviewing or editing services for local books or materials, and selection of you or your works is not an endorsement by the library. However, if selected to do a FLAVA program, you may use the Library as a professional reference.
- FLAVA participants are expected to attend writer’s workshops and contribute their learned knowledge, experience, and expertise to the teen YEP program as well as participate in other library programs.
- There is a separate application process associated with being a FLAVA program presenter.
FLAVA AND LIBRARY PROGRAMS (Includes, but not limited to):
- Friends Book sale; Friends Corner Flea Market; Jr. Friends Crafts & Vendor Showcases
- Local Author’s Expo; FLAVA-Con Comic Book & Artists Expo
- FLAVA of the Month Book signings, Presentation Panelist & Programs
- Teen YEP (Youth Enrichment Program); Teen STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math)
BECOMING THE NEXT FLAVA OF THE MONTH